Return to Uganda August 9, 2015


As I sit here in our house, looking out on our green lawn with the sun rising over Lake Victoria, I look back.....17 months ago and the realization that I am not the person I was then sets me back. I reminisce about my journey of first my diagnosis of cancer here - a miracle in itself, and then the hectic flight back to Canada last March. Full of questions and the reality that I may not see Uganda again was very unsettling and fearful to say the least. Why was this happening to me .... Would I live to see a new year? See all our kids grow up, marry, have more grandchildren? Would there be the enjoyment of more Christmas' gatherings with family? Questions flooded my mind and the knowledge that there would have to be a long fight ahead of me in order to reach Canada for treatment for survival. It was daunting, but with God there beside me, I knew my future was safe with Him. Whatever the outcome -- it was His will, and I would trust Him in that.
A lot of growth has been experienced in my life this past year -- spiritually and emotionally -- and more than ever, I see God's hand on my life. He has walked alongside and through every experience, and is familiar with my inner and outer being. I thank Him for that! 
"God, investigate my life;
get all the facts firsthand,
I'm an open book to you;
even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking.
You know when I leave and when I get back;
I'm never out of your sight.
You know everything I'm going to say
before I start the first sentence.
I look behind me and you're there,
then up ahead and you're there, too --
your reassuring presence, coming and going.
This is too much, too wonderful--
I can't take it all in!" 
Ps 139:1-6
The strength of our family has been tested and tried, and all have stepped up to the plate and given their all. What a blessing they are! Surrounded by these prayer warriors with arms that never stopped lifting me up, hearts that enveloped with love and again, words that encouraged and steered forward in certainty and hope -- all contributed to a HOPE of a healthy future. Yes, I am favored and God has seen fit to extend my days! 
"I'm absolutely convinced that nothing -- nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable -- absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us."     Rom 8:38-39 
Due to this, inner strength was forged to spur me on through those last rounds of chemotherapy and later, a spinal fusion surgery. That same determination is being used to focus and push through the nerve pain in my right leg. I will get through this, as many are praying and lifting up the Name of Jesus!! I am a living testimony of God's favor and love -- and His praises will be lifted due to His faithfulness in my life. God IS GREAT! 

"Come, let's shout praises to God, raise the roof for the Rock who saved us! Let's march into his presence singing praises, lifting the rafters with our hymns." Ps. 95:1,2 

So, the question arises... What do I do about this gift of life you have given me?  Do I march forward and continue life as it was? Or do I want to tell the world about your goodness and share everywhere about your healing power? The changes and miracles that were experienced through your strength, power and enduring love -- have been life changing. I want to be used for your glory, to share --- yes, about your abiding Presence through the deepest waters and highest mountains. 
"Be strong. Take courage. Don't be intimidated. Don't give them a second thought because God, your God, is striding ahead of you. He's right there with you. He won't let you down; he won't leave you." Deut. 31:6 

Lead me to those who are living in pain, abandoned and aching ... with the need to learn how special they are to You, and to others. Once again, let me wipe the tears from children who have lost their mothers and fathers. The desire to be your vessel, your ambassador of compassion and love is deep within. You have seen fit to restore and rebuild this earthly frame -- You alone are worthy to be praised. 


We all have a reason for being where we are and who we are with, and I cherish where God has placed me. He has moulded and cared for all my desires and dreams. Glory to God, for I am now back on the Continent of my Calling. The welcome has been so loving - it's both amazing and humbling to behold. Who am I to be loved in this way? I realize how extraordinary it is to be part of God's family. You have allowed me to live, laugh, and be embraced in health -- to once again walk along paths that lead to those who need You. 
This will be my last entry in this blog, for I am Victorious in Christ and so thankful for those of you who followed along in my journey. You gave me courage to continue to race to the end. I am celebrating Victory -- of recovered life, joy in Hope and anticipating a full life and ministry experience once again with my life partner. Life is good! 
You can still follow our lives and events going on in our ministry here in East and Central Africa on our other blog: heartofourafrica.blogspot.com -- please stand with us as we forge ahead! God bless you and keep you and may His face shine upon you!

"But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people. God's instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you-from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted." I Peter 2:9


2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful blog thank you share this information click here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your journey Colleen!

    Love always,
    Dondeena

    ReplyDelete

copyright © . all rights reserved. designed by Color and Code

grid layout coding by helpblogger.com